One of the questions we hear most often is —“Can I get a paternity test while I’m pregnant?”
The answer is YES.
There are various reasons for wanting to know the answer as soon as possible. Certainly, peace of mind throughout the rest of the pregnancy is reason. A DNA test confirming paternity may pave the way for legal and medical benefits for a child born to unmarried parents.
A child’s DNA profile is set at conception and does not change. Therefore, a DNA test can be done before you give birth by acquiring the DNA from the unborn child that is mixed in with with the mothers blood. Blood from the mother and a cheek swab from the father is what’s needed to perform the paternity test. This can be done any time after the 7th week with the prenatal paternity test from DDC. The The sample collections are easily coordinated with a call to our DNA experts who work closely with expectant couples every day.
More about This Test
- The Certainty™ Non-Invasive Prenatal Paternity test provides accurate results you can trust, in as few as 3 business days
- The test is completely safe for the mother and pregnancy and can be performed as early as 7 weeks’ gestation
- Certainty with court-admissible results is the only AABB-accredited prenatal test, which means our processes meet strict standards for excellence and accountability
- DNA-collection for Certainty requires only a simple blood sample from the mother and cheek swab from the possible father
- It provides 99.9% probability-of-paternity results or higher for inclusions and 0% probability of paternity results for exclusions, just like a postnatal paternity test