As a responsible dog breeder, you want to ensure your puppies are going to the best possible homes. You’ve invested money, time, and your heart into your breeding program, so it is perfectly OK for you to screen all applicants and be selective about where your puppies go after they leave you. Not sure what to include in that screening? Here are suggestions for questions to ask puppy buyers as well as questions they may ask you in return.
Questions to Ask Puppy Buyers
Questions to Ask about Dog and Breed Choice
- Why do you want to have a dog?
- Why did you choose this particular breed?
- Are you aware of the care requirements for this type of dog breed?
Questions to Ask about Physical Environment
- Are you prepared to puppy-proof your home?
- Do you have a fenced yard?
Questions to Ask about Family
- Who will primarily be responsible for the puppy’s care?
- Are there children in the home? And if so, how old are they and how will you instruct them in the care of the puppy?
- Do you have other pets? If so, how do you plan on introducing them to the new puppy?
Questions to Ask about Puppy Care
- How often is someone at home?
- Do you have time to properly house-train the puppy?
- Have you considered the puppy’s demanding needs for play, training, exercising?
- Are you prepared for the costs of food, toys, and veterinary care?
- Are you committed to grooming maintenance?
What a Dog Buyer May Ask You
A potential puppy buyer—especially one who is committing to a dog for the first time—is bound to be full of questions for you, too. As the epic dog breeder you are, be prepared with confident and accurate answers whether you are communicating with a dog buyer by phone, email, in person, and even on social-media sites like Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok. How would you answer these 10 most common questions?
- Can I see the puppy’s parents and what are their dispositions?
- Have the puppy’s parents been DNA-tested for inherited diseases or traits? If so, may I see proof?
- Has the puppy been vaccinated yet and when is the next dose due?
- Has the puppy been dewormed?
- If the puppy is old enough, are you sending he/she home with the first dose of flea/tick prevention?
- Can I return the puppy if there are health problems?
- What is the puppy eating and do you have a diet sheet I can take home with me?
- What are your best tips for bringing home a new puppy?
- Has the puppy already been registered with the AKC and do you have their certificate?
- Do you provide a contract of sale including mutual responsibilities of buyer and seller as well as an official document for my records?
It is a good idea to not only have ready answers to these questions, but to keep your answers in an at-your-fingertips digital document. This way, when replying via email, on the phone, or social media, your answers are always consistent, correctly spelled and—best of all—you don’t have to think up your answers fresh every time you’re asked.
As a top provider of DNA-testing services for responsible dog breeders, we’re ready to help you show proof of DNA testing. Accurate results, fast turnaround, and friendly service are what we’re all about.